Medical Malpractice Action Filed Against Sacramento Hospital, Part 3 of 8

It is worth noting that situations similar to those described in this medical malpractice case could just as easily occur at any of the healthcare facilities in the area, such as Kaiser Permanente, UC Davis Medical Center, Mercy, Methodist, or Sutter.

(Please also note: the names and locations of all parties have been changed to protect the confidentiality of the participants in this wrongful death lawsuit and its proceedings.)

On December 22, 2008, David White, the Decedent, a 44-year-old male, was transported by ambulance to National Hospital, operated by Defendant (CMC), after sustaining a stab wound to his neck. The stab wound was serious but not life threatening. His injuries required two operations by the Trauma Service to stop bleeding vessels in his neck.

During his hospital stay, the Decedent exhibited signs and symptoms of alcohol withdrawal, which included tremor, hallucinations, agitation, sweating and rapid pulse. He was treated appropriately with Ativan, Haldol, and IV Thiamine supplementation for his symptoms of alcohol withdrawal.

For more information you are welcome to contact Sacramento personal injury lawyer, Moseley Collins.

Until December 30, 2008, the Decedent’s behavior, vital signs, and lab work remained fairly stable. On December 30, his white blood cell count jumped from 8.1 to 13.2.
On December 31, 2008, the Decedent’s white blood cell count increased to 19.2, and by
4 p.m. his temperature had jumped up to 102 degrees. He continued to have fevers throughout the night and continued with increasing temperatures on January 1, 2009 to 103.5 degrees by

6 a.m.

On January 2, 2009 at 10:30 a.m., for the first time medical personnel at National Hospital sought a source of the infection and cultures were ordered. Antibiotics were not ordered until 3 p.m. on January 2, 2009.

On January 2, 2009 at 7:30 p.m., rounds were made on the patient by Dr. Donna Brown. She was appropriately concerned about sepsis and ordered CT scans of the neck and abdomen and broadened antibiotic coverage. Due to technical difficulties in obtaining the CT scans, the Decedent was not taken for CT scanning until 3 a.m. on January 3, 2009.

The CT scan identified misplacement of the Foley catheter balloon into the penile urethra and surrounding gas and edema of the penis and scrotum suggesting urethral rupture and possible infection with gas forming organisms. The Decedent’s bladder was also markedly distended with urine. A suprapubic catheter was surgically inserted in the Decedent abdomen and milky urine was drained in the bladder consistent with pus.

The Decedent was scheduled to undergo debridement of his scrotum and perineum for treatment of presumed Fournier’s Gangrene. Unfortunately, the Decedent’s condition worsened and he had a cardiac arrest prior to surgery. (See Part 4 of 8.)

For more information you are welcome to contact Sacramento personal injury lawyer, Moseley Collins.

Contact Information