Son Dies After He Goes Into Respiratory Arrest At Dentist Office, Part 1 of 2

It is worth noting that situations similar to those described in this medical malpractice case could just as easily occur at any of the healthcare facilities in the area, such as Kaiser Permanente, UC Davis Medical Center, Mercy, Methodist, or Sutter.

(Please also note: the names and locations of all parties have been changed to protect the confidentiality of the participants in this personal injury lawsuit and its proceedings.)

INJURIES: Ramon died from sudden respiratory arrest.


On Sept. 8, 2006, plaintiffs’ decedent Ramon Varlere, age 7, visited dentist Jeffery Aaron’s office, Dentistry for Children and Adolescents, to have sealants placed on two adult molars by registered dental assistants Andrea Maker and Ren Anders.

Ramon, who was born on May 6, 1999, was diagnosed after his first birthday with spinal muscular atrophy type 1, a progressive disease that causes muscle weakness, lack of motor development and poor muscle tone and severely compromises respiratory function. As Ramon became older, it was clear that he was a belly breather in response to this condition. He was hospitalized six times for emergency respiratory problems by the time he was three years old.

For more information you are welcome to contact Sacramento personal injury lawyer, Moseley Collins.

During the Sept. 8 visit to Aarons’s office, Maker brushed Ramon’s teeth and noticed that he appeared uncomfortable, as he was crying. He said that he could not breathe. Maker repositioned Ramon and asked Ramon’s mother if he had trouble breathing through his nose. The mother responded that Ramon was fine. Placement of the first sealant took roughly one-to-two minutes. After the sealant had been allowed to cure, Maker noticed that Ramon looked pale and appeared to have stopped breathing. She told Anders to call 911. His mother took Ramon, placed him in his motorized wheelchair and left the office.

The mother took Ramon across the street to Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital. He was found by a nurse at the hospital to be in full cardiopulmonary arrest. He was apneic and pulseless. Medical personnel administered CPR. Epinephrine was administered, and Ramon was intubated with a 4.5 endotracheal tube. Additional intravenous access was obtained, compressions continued and epinephrine and atropine were administered per pediatric advance life support protocol. The code was run for 39 minutes prior to being terminated. The autopsy report listed the cause of death as unknown.

For more information you are welcome to contact Sacramento personal injury lawyer, Moseley Collins.

Contact Information