Actors Danny DeVito, Tony Danza and Marilu Henner made riding in a cab look hilarious in the popular 1980s sit-com, Taxi. In real life, taking a jaunt in a taxi isn’t always a fun ride.
As a paralegal for a Sacramento personal injury attorney, we have assisted a number of clients who were severely injured in a taxi trauma. Keep in mind that if you are ever injured in a car crash as a taxicab passenger, you may have a personal injury claim.
In order to protect yourself while riding in a taxi, SFSAFE, a leading crime prevention education organization in San Francisco, suggests you take the following safety precautions.
1. Plan your travel in advance and let family and friends know of your itinerary.
2. Contact taxicab companies that you are familiar with.
3. It is better to call for a taxi rather than flagging for a ride. Flagged taxicab pickups are not recorded. Dispatched taxi rides are recorded and lost property can be traced if the ride is recorded.
4. Note the taxicab number before you enter the vehicle. The company number is usually marked on either the front quarter panels or the rear truck area.
5. When entering a taxicab, check for photo identification on the dashboard facing the passenger. The driver should match the photo identification.
6. Listen to your instincts. If you feel unsafe, leave the vehicle.
7. Alcohol and drugs can impair your judgment as a passenger and make you look like an easy target.
These are important safety tips to consider when traveling by taxi. And while they don’t completely eliminate the possibility of getting in a car crash, they will help to provide you with some peace of mind that you are doing everything possible to protect yourself.
Moseley Collins is a personal injury attorney serving those badly hurt throughout California. There is absolutely NO FEE to discuss your case and there is absolutely no fee unless we win and get you the money you are entitled to. We are on your side and know what to do to get you compensation and justice.
980 9th St, 16th Floor
Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: (916) 444-4444